Remote Curriculum – Information for parents/carers
On March 8th, almost our whole school will return to full-time education following the Covid 19 closure in March. Although we hope that the majority of our children will now have an uninterrupted experience, there is the possibility that an individual child, a class bubble, or indeed the whole school, will need to self-isolate or shield at home for a period of time.
Since March 2020 we have been providing remote learning via newsletters, activity resource packs and a dedicated class website page, so that all children have been able to continue with their education.
This meets the expectations set out in the DfE guidance ‘Remote Education Support’
There are three main aspects to our remote offer:
- Activity packs
- Each teacher will write a fortnightly newsletter outlining all the activities and resources available for the home learning . Each newsletter follows the usual school curriculum model, based on the 10 Curriculum Aims.
- The newsletters will be delivered by parentmail and are also on the school website under your child’s class page.
- In each Curriculum Aim box on the newsletter you will find a corresponding video or resource on the website, or an actual worksheet or resource in your activity pack to enable you to complete the work with your child.
- Teachers will use a variety of different resources to set work for pupils. This may include recorded lessons and videos made by all members of the class staff team, links to external resources such as Read Write Inc, Cbeebies, YouTube clips
- On the school website under CLASSES, each class has a dedicated page full of videos of lessons recorded by the teachers and SSAs in your child’s class. Each video will be linked to a learning activity on the newsletter with a clear learning objective for you to follow.
- We understand that for many of our pupils the most important aspect for them is to stay connected with the school community, so the emphasis at Fordwater is to provide numerous bespoke and individualised learning videos. We know that the familiar faces and voices of our staff will help keep your child engaged.
- Our videos are short and clear and are designed to be watched again and again, so your child can revisit and repeat activities to consolidate learning
- Many of the videos link directly with the activity packs being delivered by staff to your home. They will demonstrate a learning activity and the resources to be able to participate in this activity will be in your packs to use on a weekly basis if appropriate.
- Please also browse other class videos if you need extra work or more variety.
- All videos will follow either the class topic or the 14 – 19 yrs modules, as well as special events on the school calendar.
- Each half term, staff in your child’s class will deliver an activity pack to your door.
- The activity packs will provide resources, worksheets, books and art materials which directly link to the learning activities suggested in the newsletters and on the website page for your child’s class.
- All items that require it will have a COSHH sheet for your protection.
We are very aware of the many challenges that having a child with special needs at home can present to families. Our remote curriculum offer is to support you and your child and not add pressure or additional stress to your lives at home.
All activities are suggestions only, and there is no expectation that you will complete all the learning provided and there may well be days or weeks when you are not able to access it at all.
Please speak honestly with your class teacher during your weekly welfare calls – these are designed to support you and your family and to make sure we are doing everything we can to help learning at home. The feedback you give your teacher will help them plan the most appropriate learning activities for your child. Let the school know if you need any more work than is being set and we will make sure you receive it.
If you need any additional resources such as paper, glue, scissors etc. do not hesitate to ask and we will supply these resources via your activity packs.
We would love to share any special learning moments you have at home. Please send these to your class teacher or to Clare in the school office and they will appear in the weekly Bugle.