Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions 


Q: Who do I contact to arrange school transport?

A: School Transport is provided by West Sussex County Council.
You can contact them on – 01243 777100.

Alternatively visit where you will find criteria and how to apply.

Q: How do I apply for Free School Meals?

A: Families who receive certain benefits may be eligible for Free School Meals. Your child is eligible for Free School Meals if you’re in receipt of one of the following benefits:

  • Universal Credit with an annual net earned income of no more than £7400.
  • Child Tax Credit (with no working tax credit) with an annual income of no more than £16190.
  • Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for the four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit).
  • Income Support.
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
  • Support under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
  • The guarantee element of Pension Credit.

If you would like to apply for Free School Meals please complete the ‘Free School Meals Eligibility Form’ and return to the School Office or alternatively you can email directly to

WSCC Free School Meals Application (.pdf file)

Q: My child has an allergy, how do I notify the school kitchen?

A: West Sussex County Council Catering Service has in place a strict process and procedure to ensure the safeguarding of their customers with regards to medical special dietary requirements.

If your child has a medical condition that requires a special diet, you will need to complete the ‘Special Diet Provision-Request Form’ with necessary information required and supporting medical evidence. This will then need to be returned to the school office to be considered by the catering team.

WSCC Special Diet Provision (.pdf file)

Q: How do I pay for school meals?

A: School Meals are currently provided at a cost of £2.35 per meal with a whole week costing £11.75. Payments can be made online via your ParentMail account. Payments should be made in advance, on a weekly basis or if you wish half termly. 

Meals should not be paid in arrears as this will incur a debt with West Sussex County Council.

Q: Where and how do I purchase school uniform?

A: All pupils of statutory school age, 5 – 16 years, are required to wear school uniform.

This does not apply to Nursery or 6th Form classes.

All items of clothing should be clearly labelled with your child’s name to avoid being lost.

Fordwater School uniform is available to purchase from Game Set and Match in Chichester. Uniform can be ordered online at alternatively you can purchase in store, please visit Game Set & Match, Unit 1, Beaver Trade Park, Quarry Lane, Chichester, PO19 8NY. 

Q: We would like to book a family holiday, will this be authorised during term time?

A: Any requests for a holiday during term time will need to be applied for by completing a ‘Request for Holiday in School Time Form’. Your request will then be considered by the Head teacher.

Holiday Request Form (.pdf file)

Q: How do I contact my child’s class teacher to discuss any concerns or questions?

A: You will receive daily communications with your teacher through your child’s home school book.

If you would like to have a further discussion with your child’s teacher then please contact the school office on 01243 782475 where a message will be passed on for them to call you back when they are able to do so.

Q: Who are Therapies in Schools?

A: The Therapies in Schools (TIS) service is a new service which brings added Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy into the local authority maintained special schools in West Sussex.

The vision for TIS is to enable schools, families and therapists to work in partnership to deliver life learning outcomes that blend the child's educational aspirations with their therapeutic needs.

TIS provides direct therapy to children alongside training and support to the whole educational school staff.

Q: How do I apply for a Post 16 Bursary?

A: The 16-19 Bursary Fund (Sixth Form Bursary) is available to those students who need financial support to continue with their post 16 education.

It is available to students who are part of a low household income family and also, as required by government, to all young people in the nominated vulnerable groups.

Here is the link which provides further information

If you require further assistance please contact the School Business Manager on 01243 782475 option 2.

Q: How can I obtain copies of consent forms?

A: All consent forms are available to be printed from the school website under the ‘School Forms’ tab.

Alternatively you can request forms either by phone from the School Office or through your child’s home school book.

Q: I would like to remove my consent for my child’s images to be used within publications, how do I do this?

A: The school will hold consent information on your child’s record while they remain a pupil at Fordwater School.

If at any time you wish to change your preferences, please complete a new ‘Fordwater School Consent Form’ and return to the school office.

Fordwater School Annual Consent Form (.pdf file)

Q: We have moved home, how do I inform the school of new details?

A: Please fully complete a new ‘School Registration Form’ and return to the school office.

School Registration Form (.pdf file)

Please contact the school office for any further assistance on 01243 782475